You can use our prescriptions to get medication from your local pharmacy anywhere in Cyprus.
There is a variety of medicines that can be used during an IVF treatment as well as when a pregnancy is achieved after IVF treatment.
First, the main purpose is to create sufficient number of follicles. In order to achieve this purpose, women are stimulated with injected medications. It is not pleasant to have injections daily, people often are scared of needles but it is actually not difficult to be done. Women or sometimes the partners are taught how to inject the medicines. Usually for the purpose of the stimulation LH and FSH are given. These two hormones directly stimulate the ovaries to produce ova. Also sometimes it is necessary to inject a specific category of medicines called antagonists. The purpose of the antagonists is to stop the premature LH rise which could lead to premature luteinisation.
The main medicines that are used are:
- For LH suppression
- GnRH-agonist (Suprefact, Arvekap)
- GnRH-antagonist (Orcalutran and Cetrotide)
- FSH product (follicle stimulating hormone) to stimulate development of multiple eggs: Bravelle 75 mg, Fostimon 150 mg, Fostimon 75 mg, Gonal-F, Puregon, Elonva.
- FSH and LH: Merional 75, Merional 150, Menopur 75
- hCG (human Chorionic Gonadotropin) to cause final maturation of the eggs: choriomon 5000, averkap 0.1, pregnyl 5000
Please note that sometimes it is necessary to use a combination of the above medicines.
After the ovum pick up is completed, the therapy protocol changes. Women take progesterone in the form of vaginal gel and suppositories, or injectable or even sometimes orally. Progesterone is given to support a possible pregnancy. Additionally, they are given Estrogens but they usually come either as patches (sticker) or pills. Again, Estrogens are also needed in the case of pregnancy. It is also highly recommended for women to take antithrombotics, when indicated, after the ovum pick-up as high levels of Estrogen can cause thrombosis.
- Suppositories or vaginal gel: Cyclogest 400mg , Utrogestan 100mg or 200mg, Vasclor 8%, Crinone 8%
- Injections: Prolutex 25mg
- Oral pills: Duphaston, Utrogestan 100mg or 200mg
- Evorel-50 patches
- Cyclacur (white pills only) or Progynova
Nursing teaching and support
Throughout the entire process, you will have great help from our nursing staff. They will teach you how to perform the injections on your own. If you still find it hard to do them by yourself, the nurse may teach your partner or a friend to do them for you. If that option also fails, you may wish to come to our center daily so that the nurses can perform the injections for you.
Undergoing an IVF treatment can cause stress and anxiety to women and their partners; especially, if the couple has already undergone repeated fertility treatments. Our nurses are available for discussion whenever you may need them. At Pedieos IVF Center, we always try to find a way to explain everything in great detail. Our nurses stand by your side during your treatment and are here to provide you with psychological support.